Financial Aid

Financial aid refers to loans and grants that can be used toward education abroad program expenses. To receive federal, state, or institutional financial aid on an education abroad program, you must:

  • Be at least half-time enrolled for academic credit (TAMU or transfer credit abroad)
  • Have a completed FAFSA/TAFSA/ISFAA on file with Texas A&M
  • Submit an Education Abroad Financial Aid Request Form* to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid
    • *Scroll down to find out more about the Financial Aid Request Form.
  • Review loan options, eligibility requirements, and the application at

Disbursement Dates

Financial aid & scholarship funding for education abroad programs is disbursed approximately ten (10) days prior to the start of the Texas A&M term you are spending abroad or ten (10) days prior to your program start date, whichever is later.  

Financial Aid Request Forms for Education Abroad

What is the Financial Aid Request Form (FARF)?

The FARF is a document that lists a breakdown of the total estimated costs of your education abroad program. The dollar estimate on this form is then used by the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid to adjust your cost of attendance at Texas A&M during the term you are abroad, which may make you eligible for more financial aid.

How do I receive a Financial Aid Request Form?

You must request this form from the Education Abroad Advisor for your program. If you are unsure who that is, you can view the program webpage or email

What are the requirements to receive a FARF?

Only students that are planning to receive academic credit abroad and have a status of “Confirmed” in the Education Abroad Portal may receive a FARF.

What do I do with the FARF after I receive it?

You should submit the FARF directly to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for processing. Additionally, we recommend scheduling an appointment with a Financial Aid Advisor to discuss your full aid package.

Veteran’s Benefits 

The following is a summary of how your veteran education benefits can be processed when you have elected or are required to participate in an education abroad program. There is a difference between a course being required and the education abroad program being required. Please check with your academic advisor to verify if an education abroad program is required for your degree or certificate.
More information can also be found at

Requirements for Credit-bearing International Experiences:

  • The VA cannot pay for any fees specific to education abroad unless you are required to go abroad as a part of your degree program.
  • You must be enrolled in courses that will apply to your degree program.
  • If the education abroad program does not offer Texas A&M coursework and does not charge Texas A&M tuition and fees, it must meet certain criteria. For instance, it must be a VA certifying institution and program.
  • If you attend a pre-approved and VA certifying institution’s program, you must complete a Primary Institution Letter and submit it to TAMU VSO.

Payments for Credit-bearing International Experiences:

  • Texas A&M can only bill the VA for tuition and fees that are charged by Texas A&M for the course(s) and study abroad fees (when study abroad is required per your degree).
  • VA cannot pay toward any fees associated with your books, travel, food, lodging, or excursions.
  • If on Chapter 33, you will receive BAH according to the TAMU facility code. You will receive a book stipend if you have not met the $1,000 annual limit. If you are Chapter 1606, Chapter 35 or Chapter 30, your education abroad hours will be certified if the course is required for their degree program. Your monthly stipend will be paid directly to you according to your enrollment for each part of term.

Additional Tips to Maximize Funding:

  • When you are enrolled in less than full-time and are in an international internship, research, or co-op experience, which is a part of your degree plan, you can be certified with clock hours. Please contact the VSO regarding your program requirement and the possibility of being certified with clock hours.  
  • You should verify that your cost of attendance has been increased to include the education abroad costs and discuss other options regarding financial aid with a financial aid advisor. 

Hazlewood Exemption


Requirements for Credit-bearing International Experiences:

  • You must meet all Hazlewood eligibility renewal requirements as listed on
  • If you are a legacy student, you must have remaining degree requirements, as you are only eligible for the hours needed to graduate under your current degree program.
    • Legacy – Students who use their veteran parent’s remaining hours
    • Students that have their own 150 hours do not have this requirement

Payments for Credit-bearing International Experiences:

  • Hazlewood is an exemption - you must be enrolled and charged for your education abroad course(s) at Texas A&M (faculty-led, exchange, and national student exchange programs would be eligible for the Hazlewood exemption).
  • Hazlewood only exempts tuition and fees associated with courses and will not cover any costs associated with the study abroad.
  • Hazlewood is a state benefit and can only be processed by Texas public institutions. 

Additional Tips to Maximize Funding:

  • You should verify that your cost of attendance has been increased to include the education abroad costs and discuss other options regarding financial aid with a financial aid advisor. 

Prepaid Tuition Plans 


Texas A&M Sponsored Education Abroad Programs 

Students participating on a Texas A&M faculty-led program, exchange program, or independent travel experience for Texas A&M credit may request to use their prepaid tuition plan by contacting Specialized Student Billing. For Texas A&M sponsored programs, Texas Guaranteed Tuition Plan (TGTP) is applied toward the Texas A&M tuition and required fees incurred by enrolling in the program course(s) and is not applied toward the Education Abroad administrative fees and other travel expenses.

Affiliate Provider & Independent Travel Programs for Transfer Credit

For students participating in academic programs independently through a U.S. university, an accredited international institution, or a third-party program provider for transfer credits, TGTP can be applied toward a portion of the program cost based on the students’ course load abroad (enrollment in the SABR placeholder course). Note: TGTP does not cover the full program cost. Therefore, please expect to be responsible for paying the difference.
For transfer credit programs coordinated by Title IV eligible institutions, the TGTP main office can send payments directly to an approved institution. To initiate the direct payment process, please contact TGTP at 1-800-445-GRAD (4723), Option 2, and provide 60 days advance notice of your program’s final payment due date.
For transfer credit programs coordinated by third-party providers and non-Title IV eligible institutions, Education Abroad will facilitate third-party billing. To initiate the third-party billing process, students must complete the course pre-approval process for their respective experience and send a request to approximately 120 days (a semester) in advance of their program departure date.
As a part of the third-party billing process, students must pay the application fee and confirmation deposit owed to the program provider/institution by its billing due dates. The remaining program fee is deferred and billed to the students’ Howdy account. The estimated TGTP disbursement amount available is determined based on the current fiscal state rate per credit hour and the students’ course load abroad. For questions about this process, please email

Additional Financial Aid Opportunities


Overseas Loan Fund – L.T. Jordan Institute of International Awareness

  • The Overseas Loan Fund (OSL), administered by the MSC L.T. Jordan Institute at Texas A&M, provides an interest-free loan of up to $1,500 for any TAMU student seeking funding for international travel.
  • The loan must be repaid prior to graduation, and proposals are considered on the 15th of every month from October to April, except during winter break.
  • For more details and to complete an application, visit:

Private Loans

  • Some students choose to secure private loans to fund their education abroad experience. Before doing so, we recommend scheduling a consultation with an advisor in Money Education and/or a Financial Aid Advisor to ensure you understand the intricacies of a private loan.