Coronavirus Updates as of July 2, 2020
Unwilling to compromise the health and safety of our students, faculty, and staff, Education Abroad and Texas A&M University have had to make some tough decisions in regards to international programs. Here are the latest updates:
Faculty-led programs, field trips, and student group trips
Texas A&M University has canceled ALL faculty-led programs, field trips, and student group trips that will depart the U.S. on or before November 30, 2020
. Students and trip leaders impacted by this cancelation have been individually notified.
Programs scheduled to depart on or after December 1, 2020, have not yet been canceled. A decision on these will be made by September 15.
Exchange, affiliate provider, and independent study programs
Students participating in individual experiences through a provider or exchange partner are permitted to go with the understanding that they do so at their own risk.* Any financial loss incurred because of travel or health issues related to COVID-19 will not be reimbursed by Education Abroad or Texas A&M University.
A few things students should consider include:
- The ability to depart the U.S. and enter destination country based on current travel restrictions
- That programs may be abruptly ended by the provider or host institution if conditions worsen
- Travel restrictions may change while abroad, prohibiting students from returning to the U.S.
- There may be a need to self-isolate upon return to the U.S.
- The current closure of Passport offices and/or continued restrictions abroad may prevent students from obtaining a passport and/or visa (or residence permit) in time for travel
- Institutional and federal financial aid may not be awarded due to travel restrictions
- Remaining enrolled in Texas A&M courses in addition to 1 credit hour of an exchange placeholder course until closer to the departure date in the event travel is not possible
Students who are still pursuing exchange, affiliate provider, and independent study programs should notify Education Abroad of their decision by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
*Effective June 22, 2020, the College of Liberal Arts is no longer signing new transfer credit pre-approval forms for majors from its departments and programs for any current or future term. This decision was made out of an abundance of caution, and in light of Texas A&M University's own cancellation of university-sponsored international group trips (faculty-led programs, field trips, and student groups). Students who submitted a completed pre-approval form to Education Abroad prior to June 22, 2020, may proceed with their study abroad plan for fall semester 2020. Those who choose to proceed do so despite the University's and College's encouragement to defer study abroad to spring 2021 or later. Those with questions may contact Christie Dunn, International Programs Manager, College of Liberal Arts' Undergraduate Programs Office, at email@example.com.
If you choose to cancel your participation in an exchange, affiliate provider, or independent study program, or defer your experience to a future term, please do the following:
- For provider programs, inform your provider that you would like to cancel or defer your program and ask about options for reimbursement and/or future programs. Many providers have extended their deadlines and withdrawal policies given the COVID-19 outbreak. Please CC: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Call and/or email your academic advisor to let him/her know your situation and to identify immediate academic needs due to no longer going abroad this fall.
- Reach out to your airline carrier to cancel your flight. Please reference that it is COVID-19 related and you may be able to get a full or partial refund or a voucher for future travel.
- Email your education abroad advisor at email@example.com to let us know if you are canceling or deferring your program. If you wish to defer your provider program, let us know the new term you intend to go abroad and we’ll update your application in the portal accordingly. If you wish to defer your exchange program, let us know your desired term and we’ll help you liaise with our exchange partner to see this can be accommodated.
Future Education Abroad Programs
Education Abroad at Texas A&M University continues to closely monitor federal and international travel advisories and restrictions, as well as guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
(CDC) the World Health Organization
(WHO), and the U.S. Department of State
Although state and federal restrictions are being loosened, the global threat posed by COVID-19 still remains high. Decisions about programs departing on or after Dec. 1, 2020 – including Winter and Spring 2021 programs – will be made on Sept. 15.
Important Spring 2021 Program Deadlines
- Semester Exchange: Sept. 15
- Provider programs: Oct. 1
- Scholarship Deadline: Oct. 12
- Faculty-led programs: visit your program's website for specific deadlines
For more information about Education Abroad opportunities, please visit the Education Abroad website at abroad.tamu.edu
, call 979-845-0544, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
. Virtual appointments can also be scheduled with an Education Abroad advisor by visiting tx.ag/EducationAbroadAdvising
We’re still here to serve you!
- Virtual Advising: Education Abroad advisors are available virtually during normal business hours. To schedule an appointment, visit tx.ag/EducationAbroadAdvising.
- Contact us: Our offices are closed to in-person visitors, however, students who need to reach Education Abroad staff can call 979-845-0544, or email email@example.com. Education Abroad staff will continue to answer emails and phone calls during regular business hours.
- Orientations and Training: All Health & Safety Orientations and Faculty/Trip Leader Briefings have been moved to a virtual format.
Passport services and photo operations are closed until further notice. Education Abroad is consulting with U.S. Department of State agencies to establish appropriate protocols and procedures for future passport operations. Passport services may resume on an appointment-only basis in the future. Please watch this page for continued updates.
University Information regarding Coronavirus
General Information regarding Coronavirus