DACA and Undocumented Students

Education Abroad encourages all students, including those who are undocumented or part of the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) program, to participate in transformational, cross-cultural experiences. In addition to our international programs, there are also a variety of high-impact virtual and domestic opportunities available. 

DACA students with advance parole may be eligible to travel internationally. Those without advance parole or undocumented students can still participate in transformational experiences as there are several great opportunities to globally engage within the U.S. states & territories (i.e. Hawaii, Puerto Rico) or virtually.

Things to Consider

  • Verify your travel status. DACA students must receive advance parole to travel abroad. At this time, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) is not granting advance parole to DACA recipients (read more). However, the future presidential administration might reinstate advance parole.
  • Prepare well in-advance. If the USCIS resumes offering advance parole to DACA recipients, you will need to apply for this documentation prior to departure. According to USCIS, this process can take four months or longer, and approval is not guaranteed. 
  • Consider the risks carefully. You are strongly encouraged to work with an immigration attorney to weigh the personal and financial risks of international travel prior to applying for a program. 
  • Look into alternative programs. If you are unable or decide not to travel abroad, you can still gain valuable international and intercultural experiences! Several of our affiliate providers offer virtual study or internship abroad programs that are taught by international faculty. Additionally, there are study away programs offered in Hawaii, Puerto Rico, or other domestic destinations where a passport is not required. These programs still provide unique cultural immersion opportunities. 

Important: Texas A&M Education Abroad cannot guarantee re-entry back into the United States, even though students are participating in an approved A&M education abroad program.

Web Resources