3. Proof of Citizenship Document
You must provide ONE of the following:
- Valid or Expired Passport (if still valid, it must be mailed with the application)
- Original or certified copy of Birth Certificate that meets the below requirements:
- Issued by the city, county, or state of birth
- Lists applicant's full name, date of birth, and place of birth
- Lists parent(s)’ full names
- Has the date filed with registrar's office (must be within one year of birth or you will need secondary evidence of citizenship as well)
- Has the registrar's signature
- Has the seal of the issuing authority
- Certificate of Naturalization
- Consular Report of Birth Abroad
If you were born in TEXAS, CALIFORNIA, or PUERTO RICO, please click here
for more information about additional birth certificate requirements.
accepted: photocopies, social security cards, birth announcements from churches or hospitals (certificates with footprints are only decorative).