Home > Student Resources > Travel Documents

Travel Documents

A passport is an official identification issued by your home country verifying your citizenship. When entering another country, you will need a valid passport. For U.S. citizens, your passport must be current for at least six months post the return date of your international experience.
  • If you do not have a valid passport or need to renew your passport, please apply for one between three and six months prior to departure.
  • For more information on applying for a U.S. Passport through Education Abroad, please visit our Passport Services page.
A visa is granted by the country of your destination and is written proof that you have authorization to enter. For some destinations, you may need both a passport and visa.
  • To verify country-specific entry and exit requirements, please contact your education abroad advisor (Texas A&M-sponsored programs) and/or program coordinator (non-Texas A&M sponsored programs).
  • Requirements will vary based on the purpose of your visit, the duration of your visit, and your citizenship.
  • If a visa is required for your program, you will need to have a passport in order to apply for a visa.